Wednesday, June 6, 2018
The 2018 Yale Day of Service (YDOS) program was held at the West Haven VA Hospital (Eastern Blind Rehabilitation Service) on Saturday, May 5th. Participants were mostly Yale alumni and staff, along with students from Guilford High School and a few members of the public. Link out to the Yale News article here or continue reading for reflections from Henry Kwan ‘05 MA, an Army veteran and Director for Shared Interest Groups at the Association of Yale Alumni. He works with and supports various alumni groups, including the Yale Veterans Association.
All participating veterans who served in the US Armed Forces between 1955-1975 were presented with a special Department of Defense lapel pin (honoring Vietnam-era veterans) by Linda Schwartz ’84 MSN, ’98 DrPH, a Vietnam veteran (US Air Force) who was former Commissioner of Veterans Affairs for Connecticut, and Assistant Secretary of Veteran Affairs for Policy and Planning under President Obama.
Yale alumni and staff recipients of the lapel pin included:
• Tom Opladen ’66 (President Emeritus, Yale Veterans Association)
• Larry Lipsher ’62 (Treasurer, Yale Veterans Association)
• Martin Platt (Yale staff member: Budget Analyst, Facilities)
• Jack Beecher ’84 MPH (Yale staff member: Veteran and Military Liaison)
• Richard Silverman ’66 (Retired Yale staff member: Former Director of Admissions, School of Medicine)
The program was organized by Dr. Glen Gechlik ’05 MBA, an ER physician and administrator with the VA Connecticut Healthcare System. He is also a US Air Force veteran and a board member of the Yale Veterans Association.